I see it everyday and I am sure you do as well. I am just as guilty as the next person from time to time. That is not taking the time to engage and interact with the people you come into contact with. Think about a given day. How many people do you interact with? The people at the place where you get your coffee, the place you get your breakfast, the bank, your favorite lunchtime spot, tire repair center, your local meeting place where you conduct business, where you have dinner, where you have drinks, your colleagues for that matter, etc.
There are lots of times throughout the day that you interact with people and I am guilty as the next person at times being so focused on what I am doing, sending that text, or reading the last email that just came in, that I don’t give the proper attention to a person that they deserve. Giving them your full undivided attention when they are serving you is the minimum, but why not go above that!
1. Give them your full attention no matter what.
2. Say Good Morning, Good Afternoon, or some kind of pleasantry.
3. Ask them how their day is going.
4. Tell an individual person that they are doing a great job and give an example of why you feel that way. EX: Wow, you all are really busy right now, I appreciate how quickly you are completing everyone’s order, thank you.
5. Give someone a genuine compliment that they may not see in themselves. This requires you to go above and beyond, but it can make someones day, week, or month.
6. Always say thank you!
7. You may not have time for this, but if you do, what a great way to be courteous. I love asking people to tell me their story. Yep, I ask it just like that. How did you start working here, how long have you been here, what do you like most about working here. Who knows where this conversation will take you, I really just love hearing the stories.
Will you always get a favorable response? NOPE! But who cares you can only control your actions. A famous author says that everyone is dealing with something, and the fact that you can change that in one minute with your interactions with someone, is pretty cool.
Most people and I am just as guilty of this from time to time as well, just go through the day not engaging with the people who are serving you. This is called being average. If you are reading my blog, I know you don’t want to be average, right? So be different from everyone else, and go above and beyond to be courteous to others, some of this stuff is just basic manners, but I challenge you to do more, because that is what we should do.
Please share with me any stories of how you did some of this today and what the results were.