I was recently speaking to a person who was new to their company. This person asked me to advise them on what they can do to grow within the company. I don’t think I said anything earth shattering to them. It was really just a few basic rules that worked for me, I have seen them work for others, so I am sure they would work for them.
- Work hard
- Get in early and stay late
- Don’t count how many days you worked or how many weekends you have worked.
- Don’t bring your life into work.
- Love what you are doing or quit.
- Volunteer for everything
- Be intentional
- Speak up
- Seek solutions to problems, don’t be an habitual problem finder with no solutions.
- Get along with your colleagues, peers, and your boss.
- Walk away from the water cooler talk.
- Work on yourself harder than you do on your job. The better your attitude and skills are, the better you are as an employee.
- Do what others aren’t willing to do. This is how you get noticed.
- Set your goals with a time line.
- Get your job done and be able to ask for more to do.
- Have the right attitude.
- Show how you can help others do their job.
- Be grateful
The above are rules that must be done everyday. They are not a sometimes thing, or when I feel like it thing. They are an everyday thing. The rules are more of an attitude, a way of life than anything else.