What is average? As many of my closest friends and colleagues know, I am reading books on excellence. In each of these books I have found that the company’s, the people, the country’s, the leaders, the CEO’s, etc. are not doing extraordinary things, they are just doing the ordinary things very well. There are about five to six things that they are well above average in doing. I am on a journey to be above average in areas of my life that I have been average in. There are many areas in my life I have been above average, however there are some goals I have made that I am painfully stuck in being “average” and it is because of my lack of commitment to do what is necessary to become above average. So today’s list is a pledge to myself to be above average in areas of my life where I have allowed average tendencies.
So what is average:
- Average company’s say process over people.
- Average says that is the way we have always done it.
- Average leaders have no vision for themselves which means they can’t have a vision for the people or company.
- Average says don’t rock the boat, its not worth the trouble.
- Average says I will do it later, instead of how can I get it done now.
- Average says I will watch the show instead of reading the book.
- Average says how much do I have to do, instead of what can I do.
- Average says I will save for retirement later, instead of how can I start saving now.
- Dave Ramsey says most people (average) say: How much will it cost me a month, The rich (above average) says how much does it cost.
- Average says one more piece of cake won’t hurt me, instead of that is enough for now.
- Average says: you’re in a safe place don’t take the risk.
- Average allows the day to run them instead of them running the day.
- Average allows their calendar to be dictated by others instead of controlling it themselves.
- Average says I know it all, instead of what can I learn.
- Average says it will always be this way, instead of saying how can I change it.
- Average says networking is not important, instead of making time for it.
- Average hits snooze instead of getting up (I did this today)
- Average stays in their comfort zone.
This list is really for me and it is my public commitment to myself to continue to be above average in everything I do and seek to do. I hit snooze today on my alarm, I do this too many days in a row and I will become average. In the pursuit of excellence I go today!